Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: When is _Lost_Tribes_ going to be Available?

  1. #21
    Inactive Member Vespasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    You really think advertising is that expensive. I mean don't get me wrong you have to spend a little money but I don't think you have to spend a fortune. I mean there are lots of cheap ideas. Such as:

    Renting a space in a mall for a couple of weeks with a big block of lit up independant films on dvd or video use this block for a raffle contest. People always want shit for free. So get a raffle box, have the people put the name and address on a raffle ticket, and slip it into the box, and when you make a film or already have a film made, send them a colorful postcard with a synopsis of the film, and a neat picture. Car dealerships do this all the time. Hey better yet, and I just thought of this, what about in front of a video store, you know one of those big ones. All you gotta do is ask.

    I know, I know you're saying, okay rent the mall space for a couple weeks $$ make postcards $$, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

    DVDs are blowing up. I found a place on the net, I'll have to get back to you with the www., that does professional duplication of dvds for very cheap. Cheap like:

    1000 dvds (2 hours) for $1500

    and if you buy more it's even cheaper than that. Thats not all for that price you are talking silk screened dvds like the pros do it, dvd cases, and printed out inserts for the cases, and YES they will shrink wrap if you provide the film.

    Now I'm thinkin' a good 30 min. film with outakes, behind the scenes etc at $14.95., 5000 posters, 1000 postcards, a couple malls, a couple video stores, and BAM! I think I can make somethin'. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

  2. #22
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Those are good suggestions but I think at this point Matt's tired of dealing with Lost Tribes and just wants to finish his current project.

    Tom

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    But definitely get back to us with the www.

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Scott Spears's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2001
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's a distribution idea I just ran across:

    CustomFlix.com will for $50, set up an e-store with a short description, 60 sec. trailer, on-demand DVD & VHS copies and handle the shipping etc... for $9.95 plus 5% per unit. For and addition fee they'll do DVD mastering.

    I don't work for them. I saw a blurb in the new DV Magazine and thought it was interesting.

    I know people who have set up distribution through Amazon.com and set up Yahoo stores with similar costs.

    Scott

  5. #25
    Inactive Member Vespasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Excellent Scott that is excellent. I think we should start a new topic about this whole discussion. Anyway here is the website for the dvd duplicating I was talkin about, they are very freindly people.

    http://www.video-duplicating.com/

    Good luck everyone. If anyone knows of some other ideas on private distribution I'm sure everyone would like to hear it.

    Hey Scott I sure wouldn't mind hearing some more about Amazon and Yahoo, and someone said something about how you can put a trailer on a website or something that sounds cool I'll have to visit that website as well.

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    By the way, http://www.video-duplicating.com/ comes up as a dead link for me.
    I'll try it later though.

    The mall idea sounds OK, but have you actually tried it?
    I didn't think so. Lots of things make sense in theory.
    I originally pursued a lot of different ideas, including just renting a video projector and a screen at our local "art house" theater, but even without advertising, that cost alone was around $1300.
    I figured that I'd have to fill the entire theater for two showings to break even.
    Quite unlikely.
    The general public absolutely do not respond to alternative means of advertising to see a film.
    They go see a movie because they've seen a good trailer on TV, and because there's an actor they like in the movie, period.
    You may get a certain percentage of the aspiring filmmakers in your area to show up out of curiousity, but basically, you're not going to get the general public to line up and PAY to see your film.
    They don't give a rat's ass about independent films, or at least I should say, that alone is not a compelling reason for them to see a film. It still have to have some buzz surrounding it and/or a name they recognize.
    They're not going to pay to see your film because they think they're going to win a DVD in a raffle.

    Matt Pacini

  7. #27
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you think selling movies is hard then just try to make a go of it as an oil painter! Yes, they (painters) use postcards to advantage. They would work for movies, too.

  8. #28
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    $1300 to hire a cinema!

    Strewth,maybe you are aiming too high!

    I hired an arts centre for 100 UK pounds and borrowed a projector, and sound equipment, and a friend DJ'd for the evening. Set me back about 150 pounds in total, if that.
    That way nobody had to pay to come and see it, and a good night was had by all. Didnt cost me that much at all. And my friend (who did the sound track too) sold a few CD's.
    To be honest I could have probably sold a few copies if Id got myself together. Next Time.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 07, 2003 10:11 AM: Message edited by: eddie ]</font>

  9. #29
    Inactive Member Vespasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    Thank you mcarter, for giving someone some ounce of hope. As for you Matt why don't you go bust someone elses balls? I don't understand you man, do you think you have all the ideas or WHAT? Have you tried anyhting that I mentioned of. Hmmm, didn't think so. Okay then it will FAIL huh. Whatever man, I thought this message board was about posting comments not putdowns. I understand that you want to give input, but it just seems like everytime I have an idea you BASH it. If you haven't tried something, say to yourself it won't work, cause I sure as hell don't want to hear it.

  10. #30
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Vespasian:
    ...As for you Matt why don't you go bust someone elses balls? I don't understand you man, do you think you have all the ideas or WHAT? Have you tried anyhting that I mentioned of....</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    My question is, have YOU tried it?
    THAT is my point.
    I've heard a zillion ideas from people who themselves, as you, have NOT tried them, and my point is, that lots of things sound good when you're sitting around your living room tossing ideas around, but when you actually try them which as I stated in my post, I HAVE, then it's a different story.
    It's really damn hard to make a film, and it's even harder to get the public to care about your film. And EVERYTHING you do with a film costs money! Lots of it!
    My strategy, as all filmmakers who successfully break into the business' strategy is, to not attempt to impress the public with their film, but to impress people in the industry who can distribute/finance/produce my film(s).
    They have 100 years experience in marketing films, and I do not.
    I'm not Mr. Pessimism, OK?
    If I were, I wouldn't have made a film.
    Make a film yourself, try some of these great ideas, and then post your results.
    I think you and I will have a lot more in common than you think.

    Matt Pacini

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •